Journey the World
Journey the World: Thinking About Global Health
The journey continues this year with an exploration of healthy living both locally and around the world.
Journey the World Schedule
11:30 a.m.- Buses start running and check-in begins for age levels
12:30 p.m.- Serendipity concert and Honorary Girl Scout presentation
1:00 p.m.- Opening comments from Diane Nelson, CEO and Flag Ceremony
1:15 p.m.- World Thinking Day booths open and Healthy Living booths open
5:00 p.m.- Event ends
6:00 p.m.-Buses end running
|12:30-12:50 p.m.||Serendipity Concert|
|12:50-1:10 p.m.||Opening Ceremony|
|1:30-2:00 p.m.||Salsa Touch|
|2:30-3:00 p.m.||WAGGGS Trefoil Presentation|
|3:00-3:30 p.m.||Irish Dancers|
|4:00-4:30 p.m.||Quad City Motion Academy (Belly Dancers)|
|4:30-5:00 p.m.||Serendipity Concert|
Serendipity-Girl Scouts get ready to rock at Journey the World with Serendipity! This all girl band from the suburbs of Chicago will be opening the event with cover songs and even some of their own original music. Get a chance to meet the girls and learn how they like to stay healthy and how they work to achieve their dreams. Later in the day, the girls will close the event by performing again on stage.
Older Girls-Older Girls grades 6-12 come hang out in your own exclusive section at Journey the World. The older girl section includes:
- Create your own personal look with hair styling, make-up, and nails by Paul Mitchell Salon stylists.
- A Smoothie Bar where girls can order smoothies and take home their own recipes for creating smoothies and healthy recipes at home.
- Visit the Wii game room to test your fitness skills and dance up a storm.
- Girls also have the chance to sign-up for break-out sessions related to badge work in the Girls Guide to Girl Scouting:
- “Healthy Eating for a Healthy You!”- Lia Nightingale, Ph.D. at Palmer College of Chiropractic
Nutrition isn’t just about maintaining a healthy weight: Eating well helps you inside and out. Choosing the right foods can help you sleep better, stress less, and get smooth skin and shiny hair. Girls will learn how to eat to keep their skin glowing, their minds focused and their energy flowing.
- “First Aid and Taping for Sports Injuries”- Michael Tunning, D.C., ATC
As girls get older, they will find themselves in charge more and more. That means they need to know what to do if people get sick or hurt. Find out how to deal with minor injuries and illnesses and how to tell when the problem is more serious.
- “Yoga”- Davenport School of Yoga
As girls grow up they will face new challenges and balance more activities. Yoga is a great way to relax and help focus your energy. Girls will learn yoga techniques from one of the top instructors in the Quad Cities.
- “Bliss”- Serendipity
World Thinking Day Side
World Thinking Day gives girls a chance to celebrate international friendships, and is a reminder that Girl Scouts of the USA is part of a global community — one of nearly 150 countries with Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. Girls will experience the food, music, and culture of 40 countries at girl-led booths.
- Cultural Performances-Girls will have the chance to experience performances and dances from cultures around the world. With performances by the Quad Cities Irish Dancers, Quad Cities Motion Academy Belly Dancers, Columbian Derived Zumba, and more!
- SWAPS-Girls will have the chance to create a special World Thinking Day SWAP with Reusable Usables or trade their own they have brought with them. SWAPS stand for Special Whatchamacallits Affectionately Pinned Somewhere. SWAPS, the tradition of Girl Scouts exchanging keepsakes, started long ago when Girl Scouts and Girl Guides first gathered for fun, song, and making new friends.
- Travel Booth- Come learn about the different places YOU as a Girl Scout can travel now and in the future! Junior girls will have the chance to vote on where the next big Junior trip will be!
- Council Connections- Girls have you been pen pals with another girl or troop in our council? Make plans to meet your pal at the Council Connections booth. Get a chance to meet face to face with your pen pal at Journey the World!
- Dream to Take Action-At this area, Girl Scouts will team up with girls to unleash their dreams! Girls looking to earn a High Award will get the chance to brainstorm with other girls, see examples of projects from other girls around the country, and chat with older Girl Scouts that have already earned their Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards. In addition, girls can learn how to participate in Forever Green Take Action Projects by learning about rain gardens, talking with other Scouts working on a Twinning project with girls from Australia, and take home their own plant to start a rain garden.
Healthy Living Side
This year’s World Thinking Day is dedicated to healthy living both locally and globally. One of the Girl Scouts initiatives is teaching girls how to live healthy. Girls will get a chance to explore a range of topics from nutrition, fitness, safety and environmental health.
- Miss Iowa- Girls will have a chance to meet Miss Iowa and learn about her platform on Tourette Syndrome and anyone facing adversity of any kind.
- Daisy Room- Daisies will learn how to stay healthy and receive a visit from Trinity’s Cool Bear. They will also get to take home a free Bath& Body Works hand sanitizer.
- Brownie Room-Brownies will make and take home First Aid Kit’s. They will also get the chance to dress-up like their favorite health professional using real equipment doctors use.
- Junior Room- Juniors get ready to Get Moving with St. Ambrose student Zumba instructors. Girls will get a free headband to take home.
- Hy-Vee Booth-Visit our Hy-Vee sponsor booth where girls will learn about making healthy food choices and get the chance to make their own take home snack.
- Paramedic Booth- Girl Scouts will get the chance to explore the inside of a real ambulance and learn about health related careers from a local paramedic.
- Camp Booth- Learn about all the fun activities a girl can do at camp this year and receive a free camp key chain.
- LEGO League Competition- Come out to support your Girl Scout sisters and learn about this year’s Lego theme of Senior Solutions. Girls were challenged to research and help solve the health related problems of aging. League teams learned how to improve the quality of life for seniors by helping them continue to be independent, engaged, and connected in their communities?
- KIDS Against Hunger Food Packaging- Every 6 seconds a child dies from hunger-related illness. Girl Scouts will get a chance to make an impact and learn about world hunger and to look beyond themselves as they package meals for children in more than 60 countries around the world.
- Trinity Health Systems Booth- Girls will get the chance to visit our largest sponsor’s booths as they learn about healthy living careers, sun damage, and carcinogen damage to our lungs.
- American Heart Association Booth-Girls will learn about keeping their hearts healthy and receive a free jump rope.
- Girl Scout Shop
- Plus much more!